What is Aion?
Aion is a distributed smart contract platform run to help developers build a new generation of web3 applications with unique attributes such as end user privacy preservation, crypto-currency based business models, censorship resistance and verifiable payments without the need for an intermediary. In simple terms, Aion is a blockchain but unlike the Bitcoin blockchain it has a virtual machine that allows it to execute smart contracts.
How does it work?
The Aion smart contract platform works by running a network of machines worldwide that act as a distributed database called a ledger, to which developers can deploy applications called smart contracts. The logic in these smart contracts trigger outcomes that are verifiably true, making them an important piece of infrastructure for modern applications.
What does it aim to solve?
Aion aims to solve many of the big issues persistent with blockchain technology. These include in no specific order:
- Scalability: also known as transaction throughput
- Security: the ability for the network to resist a coordinated attack
- Efficiency: a blockchain should not be a resource burden on the world
- Usability: nor should it pose a burden on a user for interacting with it
- Interoperability: the ability to pass logic and assets between multiple blockchains
We focus our time and energy on these problems so that we can serve our ultimate purpose of empowering application developers to rebuild an internet that puts users first.
- Distributed Network powered by Proof of Work: The Aion Platform is powered by a distributed network with an optimized modification of the equihash proof of work consensus algorithm.
- Write and Deploy Java applications (smart contracts)
- Extensive Documentation and University (English & Chinese)
- Ecosystem of third party developer tools: For a recommended environment setup and list of tools and plugins to get started, you can view our up to date list of tooling by category.
- Free shared hosted node infrastructure: When prototyping, and deploying contracts to both the Mastery test network or Main network, you can use free shared nodes powered by Nodesmith.
- Community driven Q/A: Visit stack overflow community driven question and answers to common questions you face in development.
- Direct community support: For questions you can’t find answers to, reach out to us directly using your.
- Incentive driven bounty and grants program: Our bounty and grants program is a good channel for funding efforts that are complementary to the ecosystem.
- The Aion Virtual Machine (AVM): https://docs.aion.network/docs/aion-virtual-machine
- The Aion Kernel (this is software run by every machine on our distributed network)
Toolings (for application developers)
An up to date list of tooling by category, as well as exchanges and wallets can be found here.
Thank you for your interest in the Aion Network. Below are 3 links to our most requested assets. Please email [email protected] with any requests for interviews or additional information/assets.